Land
 Pedal Power VW bus
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a

2 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  16:28:57  Show Profile
My new goal in life is to make a street legal pedal power VW bus which I can live in. I realize that this is not the easiest thing in the world seeing as how I will be trying to move a little over a 1000lbs with leg power, however I know that it is possible. I do not want to have any electricity involved with the powering of this vehicle.
I have come to this forum to ask for your help. I need knowledge resources. Websites where I can get the proper gears or information to make this idea work. Anything really, I'm not entirely sure where to start, everything I have come across so far is done to a much smaller scale. Possibly a mechanism similar to what the Seattle based "HumanCar" company has come up with.
Please help me with whatever input you may have.

xarvox

Sweden
3 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2011 :  14:46:29  Show Profile
sorry for the late reply, but i just loved the concept :)

First off; you could do much better by building your own vehicle.
In most countries, a bike can look pretty much like anything with some demands regarding lights/reflective areas and possibly slow vehicle signs.

By building your own you will cut down all the extra weight needed for a combustion motor drivetrain and so on.
I would estimate that you could get a livable bike for about 50-100 kg, probably less if you go for fibre composite construction.

Looking at it from your project guideline, ripping out the drivetrain from a vw bus will still leave you a few hundred kg vehicle.

In any regard, it is doable but i would suggest you install a tandem seat and a partner with strong leg muscles.. :)

Edited by - xarvox on 03/10/2012 08:54:27
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
IHPVA Forums © 2008 International Human Powered Vehicle Association Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000