27 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2011 :  01:02:22  Show Profile
I propose the IHPVA start recognizing world records for

JUNIOR MEN'S 200-METER FLYING START
JUNIOR WOMEN'S 200-METER FLYING START
JUNIOR MULTIRIDER 200-METER FLYING START
JUNIOR MEN'S ONE-HOUR STANDING START
JUNIOR WOMEN'S ONE-HOUR STANDING START

I propose that in order to qualify for a Junior record, an athlete be AGE 16 or younger at the time of the attempt.

Argument 1:
Honoring Junior records is very good encouragement for younger athletes. Junior records are honored in UCI Bicycle Racing, Track and Field, Swimming and other sports.

Edited by - upright mike on 10/28/2011 01:59:38

Larry Lem

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2011 :  08:39:52  Show Profile
I support this proposal.

In the future, if participation increases, we can further break down the categories as is done in running races such as 10km races and marathons where 5 and 10 year-spans for age groups are typical. At the younger ages, there are usually even finer gradations.

Larry Lem
Go to Top of Page

Don S

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2011 :  21:08:59  Show Profile
It's likely a complex problem of coordination between organizations with conflicting goals and definitions but it would add validity to the records if the age qualifications of a junior rider were adopted universally by the various organizations maintaining records. The least we should consider might be conformity to like minded organizations.

The establishment of a category for • Juniors: male and female under 17 by Dec 31. is under review by the rules committee but there is a precedent for recognition of these categories.
The current IHPA posted records on the web site have one junior entry which is for the Junior 1 Hour Record. Jacob Massen (17) is credited with 42.27 miles (69.63 km) on April 4th, 2007 riding the White Hawk in CasaGrande, AZ.

Once having publicly recognized a Junior record for a 17 Y.O. person, changing the age may present a challenge. It also presents a question as to why we haven't recognized other records within this category of riders such as those of Charley Ollinger's and Tanya Markham's notable achievements in the 200 Meter at the World Human Powered Speed Challenges in Battle Mountain.

Don

"it's important to understand what makes them fast. It's more important to understand what keeps them from going faster." DS
Go to Top of Page

upright mike

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2011 :  05:09:05  Show Profile
Good input Don! Yes I almost deliberately put the age 16 and under to see if someone would notice his age 17 record. The committee first proposed that wording in I believe a 2008 meeting at Battle Mountain that I attended. That wording may have been my input at that time. It was based on this Track and Field definition of a Junior as someone who is Age 19 or less on Dec 31 of the competition year in which they set their mark. Which still confuses me, because if you turn Age 20 on Dec 30, and set a mark back in September when you were 19, then you can't hold the record??? I don't know.

This wording could become JUNIOR: AGE 17 YEARS OR LESS AT THE TIME OF ESTABLISHING THE MARK. But like all things, even that definition is not perfect because Don and I and Raymond know of two current junior athletes (mentioned off-line) out there who have birthdays that may occur right during Battle Mountain. Do we force them to make a Junior Run on Monday, but by Saturday they are no longer eligible? No. So this wording could be
JUNIOR: AGE 17 YEARS OR LESS WITHIN THE WEEK (or MONTH) THAT A MULTIPLE DAY COMPETITION OCCURS

I was there in 2007 when Jacob (also spelled Jakub) set that one-hour mark which is 43.27 miles / 69.628 km in the White Hawk. I remember he was on the Junior national team in Germany. I wonder what has happened with his career since. I was there in 2003 when Macky set his marks, and also went 64+ mph non wind legal. This was in the years after Tanya established her Junior marks. I witnessed Charlie Ollinger making a run nearly every night of the week in 2005, powering the M5 which didn't quite fit him to nearly 58 mph. Jay Henry has always impressed me with his homemade designs. The Junior class is an exciting class to develop.

Edited by - upright mike on 10/29/2011 05:28:04
Go to Top of Page

Don S

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  18:08:24  Show Profile
It seems reasonable to set the age limit on the starting date of an event in which the speed was recorded for all events. Thanks for your support Mike. The establishment of the junior category would have the potential to add an important elemant towards the future of human power, not only from junior riders but from the teams that build and race and who are essential for a junior category to succeed.

"it's important to understand what makes them fast. It's more important to understand what keeps them from going faster." DS

Edited by - Don S on 11/03/2011 18:10:46
Go to Top of Page

delcrossv

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2012 :  12:20:24  Show Profile
I see that Junior records are now possible (per the BM site). Great news!

Edited by - delcrossv on 09/11/2012 12:21:16
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
IHPVA Forums © 2008 International Human Powered Vehicle Association Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000