New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a

1 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2015 :  12:23:24  Show Profile
we usualy ask our employes to come to work by bike, is there any leaflet about riding human made bikes to work.

Thanks
Dylan

Edited by - n/a on 01/23/2017 11:12:34

dcorn

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2015 :  10:15:51  Show Profile  Visit dcorn's Homepage
I am astounded every time I hear a resident of the Lower 48 talk about how they can’t possibly bike in winter, because in many ways it is easier than trying to drive a car. And in all ways, it is more fun.
Go to Top of Page

sperez

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2015 :  05:30:46  Show Profile
It's nice to hear others bike commuting year-round.

Very few bike commuters around here (NY Nassau County) that I see, summer or winter. The question I have most grappled with in the winter is heavy clothing for warmth (but have to stop after 5 minutes to shed the extra sweater) or start off somewhat scantily clad (suffer the cold for 5 minutes, but no need to stop). My conclusion: any suffering is a turn-off, so be toasty and just stop for 3 minutes along the way.

The other question is winter darkness, which seems unavoidable if you work normal working hours.But I acquired a very strong light. I am lit up like a Boeing 747 coming in for landing. I have found riding at night has a beauty and feeling all its own.
Go to Top of Page

Kate.Windleton

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2015 :  03:08:07  Show Profile  Visit Kate.Windleton's Homepage
Can you recommend me a good city bike? I'm fairly new in London, and I need it to go to work.
Thanks in advance!
Go to Top of Page

Don S

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2015 :  17:12:07  Show Profile
Hi Kate
I'm not familiar with London so it would be helpful if you let us know about your biking experience, the traffic on your route, the terrain (hilly, etc.), and the the weather. (Will you be needing to ride in rain and snow conditions?)

Don

"it's important to understand what makes them fast. It's more important to understand what keeps them from going faster." DS
Go to Top of Page

bobbytigris

1 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2016 :  07:56:54  Show Profile  Visit bobbytigris's Homepage
Biking in winter is a matter of trial and error. Finding the right clothes, hats, gloves, ways to keep your feet warm (my biggest problem). But once you do find the right combination, winter biking is well worth it.
Go to Top of Page

pj0311234

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2016 :  11:04:52  Show Profile  Visit pj0311234's Homepage
I guess it's human nature, but people look for any excuse not to bike, walk, etc... Especially weather-related reasons. Obviously, there are times when it's wise to stay indoors, but most of the time it's perfectly ok to be outdoors in inclement weather. No excuses!
Go to Top of Page

jmoore

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2016 :  08:12:55  Show Profile  Visit jmoore's Homepage
It's not the weather I worry about in winter. It's cars! (But then I guess that's always the case--but it's worse in winter).
Go to Top of Page

jnyyz

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2016 :  17:52:00  Show Profile  Visit jnyyz's Homepage
although spring is taking it's sweet time to arrive, it's been much easier biking to work this winter than last.

https://jnyyz.wordpress.com/2016/02/12/winter-bike-to-work-day/

Jun Nogami
Toronto, Canada
http://jnyyz.wordpress.com/category/hpv/
Go to Top of Page

n/a

1 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2016 :  09:21:59  Show Profile
I live in Northern Vermont and we haven't had much of a winter at all. Good for biking, but bad for skiing.
Go to Top of Page

callahanpeter1

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2016 :  09:12:44  Show Profile  Visit callahanpeter1's Homepage
65 degrees. No excuses Mr. Vermont!
Go to Top of Page

rbrtmerton

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2016 :  16:07:53  Show Profile  Visit rbrtmerton's Homepage
I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes to ride his bike in the winter! It's actually one of my favorite winter activities.
Go to Top of Page

n/a

1 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2016 :  09:02:15  Show Profile
Having just forgotten my sunglasses on a bike ride in June, I can only say that one of the best things about winter bike riding is--no bugs!
Go to Top of Page

jonasscout

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  13:25:26  Show Profile  Visit jonasscout's Homepage
Another "problem" with summer biking to work is sweat! Not as much a problem in winter.
Go to Top of Page

ripanderson902

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2016 :  09:46:15  Show Profile  Visit ripanderson902's Homepage
I wear under armor, even in the summer. Then when I get to work I simply take it off. It absorbs the sweat. It seems counterintuitive--to wear MORE clothing--but then you just take it off and wash it.
Go to Top of Page

Pseaver

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2016 :  07:48:30  Show Profile  Visit Pseaver's Homepage
True. The "problem" with sweat is when it's allowed to sit and stagnate...ewwww. But if you just wipe it off once you're done cycling you should be ok. But everyone is different I guess.
Go to Top of Page

RossFinney

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2016 :  13:23:48  Show Profile  Visit RossFinney's Homepage
I ride my bike to work and find that I need an extra half hour or so just to rest, cool off, hydrate and get ready for the day. I still think it's worth it.
Go to Top of Page

n/a

1 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  14:30:06  Show Profile
Two major issue we bikers dread in the UK - is the black ice on the road at the winter season and drivers who jump on the road without adequate concern for bikers.There was an increase in road accident fatality last year compared to previous year.
Go to Top of Page

ryanmallet

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2016 :  07:09:27  Show Profile  Visit ryanmallet's Homepage
I hate this time of year...Getting colder to bike...UGH

Edited by - ryanmallet on 11/05/2016 07:10:16
Go to Top of Page

staustinreview

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2016 :  10:09:25  Show Profile  Visit staustinreview's Homepage
It is impossible to get any bike insurence that will cover you from November to march here in Denmark... But the roads are also pretty slippery anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Don S

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2016 :  17:32:47  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by staustinreview

It is impossible to get any bike insurence that will cover you from November to march here in Denmark... But the roads are also pretty slippery anyway.

Are bicyclists required to have insurance to ride on Denmark's roads or is insurance optional? I am not aware of any states in the U.S.A. that require insurance prior to riding on public roads and highways.

"it's important to understand what makes them fast. It's more important to understand what keeps them from going faster." DS
Go to Top of Page

n/a

2 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2016 :  08:55:25  Show Profile
I love to travel by bike...the regular exercise helps to maintain good health. However I don't think sweating while riding a bike is a good idea.
Go to Top of Page

murzilka

Russia
1 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  04:17:14  Show Profile  Visit murzilka's Homepage
When I ride my bike to work I take a somewhat longer path along the river. I frequently see an eagle balanced on the fence along a river overflow lagoon, observing for fish. I have been so near to her that I could practically touch her. Just this is worth the effort. In the way home I take even a longer route so by the time I get home my mood has enhanced. I eat fewer since I do not want to quench the stress and I sleep way better.
Go to Top of Page

abguy

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  13:17:38  Show Profile
I go everywhere I can by bike. Even in the winter when there is snow on the ground, I still try to get out on my bike when I can.

Exercise is critical to maintaining a healthy lifestyle and I find biking both great for exercise but also helping me calm my mind. My job in roofing can be quite challenging and getting out on my bike helps bring me back to a relaxation state while feeling healthier every day.

Simon
Go to Top of Page

krh4pearl

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  11:35:09  Show Profile  Visit krh4pearl's Homepage
I am a huge fan of biking in the winter. But it can be hard to start. It can take a while to figure out the gear you need, clothing, etc...But it's something that is definitely worthwhile!
Go to Top of Page

npennington

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  18:01:18  Show Profile  Visit npennington's Homepage
The most avid bikers I saw in Europe were in the Netherlands, especially in Amsterdam. Everyone rode bicycles over there even late into the early mornings. Loved it.

People Before Profit
Go to Top of Page

n/a

1 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  11:12:25  Show Profile
Biking in the winter is almost the same as in the summer (at least in London),as there is no snow in the winter. You need just wear something warmer and thats it and you can cycling all year long.
Go to Top of Page

mitten77

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  04:19:30  Show Profile  Visit mitten77's Homepage
It more convenient to bike than use my four wheeler.Its so difficult to drive through all the snow.Its better to put on your warm clothes, and bike around.Its so much easier and fun too.
Go to Top of Page

n/a

1 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2017 :  06:17:48  Show Profile
More ecological , more healthy , cheaper ... in every case riding a bike is better than cars !
Go to Top of Page

n/a

1 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2017 :  05:09:12  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ronnieshandymanblackheath

More ecological , more healthy , cheaper ... in every case riding a bike is better than cars !

I'm absolutely agree with you my friend !
P.S. Visit My Website !

Edited by - n/a on 05/25/2017 05:10:06
Go to Top of Page

n/a

1 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2017 :  05:36:13  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ripanderson902

I wear under armor, even in the summer. Then when I get to work I simply take it off. It absorbs the sweat. It seems counterintuitive--to wear MORE clothing--but then you just take it off and wash it.

I'am agree with you for wearing under armor , but what's happen with the smell from the sweat ?

http://www.landonhandymancharlton.co.uk/ br /
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
IHPVA Forums © 2008 International Human Powered Vehicle Association Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000