Water
 HPB Newbie seeks advice
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a

2 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2012 :  06:17:02  Show Profile
I'm an experienced long distance recumbent rider, looking for a water experience! Simple question is, what are the best choices for a commercially available HPB for me? I have money but I'm also cheap (those often go together right?) and am open to a good deal on a used something.

Here are what I think my needs/wants are for it:

- I live walking distance to the beach (North Carolina), and also to a boat ramp in the harbor that leads to the intracoastal waterway and large river. Ideally I would love something that's ocean worthy, even surf-launch worthy, but limiting to the waterway and rivers is also possible.

- I think I want something that's either a tandem or can at least carry a passenger.

- Being a fairly high performance-oriented cyclist, I care about performance, and I would love to be able to do some long distance boating, especially because the Intracoastal is right here and there are lots of places to go, from the next town to a trip up or down the coast. BUT, I'm not planning on racing anyone so absolute top performance is not the main goal. Comfort, flexibility of carrying, launching, etc. is about as important.

- I want something like a real cycling experience, that is, good workout, efficiency, comfortable for putting in hard, sustained efforts if I want to, etc.

OK, that's enough of the wish list. I see the page with all the boats and photos and the notes about which ones are no longer made, but I'm hoping some of you experts can narrow it down, and say "OK, for you, here are the 3 to look at" or something like that, just as I could for a similar question about road recumbents.

Thanks much!

Barclay

Don S

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2012 :  07:34:17  Show Profile
Barclay,

You may want to also post your question in the HPB forum at Recumbents.com.

Don

"it's important to understand what makes them fast. It's more important to understand what keeps them from going faster." DS
Go to Top of Page

n/a

2 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2012 :  15:32:53  Show Profile
Hi Don, Will do, but there looks like less activity there than here! ;)

Barclay

quote:
Originally posted by Don S

Barclay,

You may want to also post your question in the HPB forum at Recumbents.com.

Don

"it's important to understand what makes them fast. It's more important to understand what keeps them from going faster." DS

Go to Top of Page

Don S

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2012 :  07:44:19  Show Profile
Regardless of the activity level, there are several HPB enthusiasts who regularly visit & post on the recumbent.com forums. I've had my inflatable pontoon in the surfs of Puget Sound and found it to be very stable in the waves but haven't gotten around to adding a pedal based drive even though I think it would make a good conversion.

Go to Top of Page

n/a

1 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2012 :  16:28:39  Show Profile
There are lots of different pedal boat links at http://murraystrikelinks.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
IHPVA Forums © 2008 International Human Powered Vehicle Association Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000