where to purchase plastic boat pontoons
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ToledoGlen

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2013 :  21:35:01  Show Profile
I currently have a bicycle boat that uses fiberglass pontoons. I am redesigning and wish to use lighter weight plastic pontoons rather than the heavy and expensive fiberglass types. Any suggestions as to where I can buy them? I have Googled under every search term I can think of and can't find any place where I can buy them or anyone who manufactures them. I see hundreds of human powered watercraft on hpv websites using a wide variety of pontoons and hulls, so I assume you guys are buying them somewhere and not making all of them yourselves. I certainly can't afford to pay for a mold myself so I would prefer to buy from someone who already makes them in various sizes. Any help would be most appreciated.

Don S

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  15:23:24  Show Profile
You might post the question on the Human Powered Boats forum at Recumbents.com. Someone there might have an answer.

"it's important to understand what makes them fast. It's more important to understand what keeps them from going faster." DS
Go to Top of Page

ToledoGlen

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2013 :  16:40:45  Show Profile
Thanks. I appreciate the suggestion and will give it a try.
Go to Top of Page

ToledoGlen

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2013 :  17:33:52  Show Profile
Don, et al. I have tried the recumbents.com website and have gotten a couple of suggestions but haven't yet found anyone who knows where I can buy "off the shelf" pontoons or hulls (except for the big ones designed for engine powered pontoon boats and deck boats). I am finding that many of the HPVers make their own hulls and pontoons. While I wish I had the skill and equipment to do likewise that is well beyond the scope of my skills. So I am still hoping someone will read this who happens to know of a company or an individual who might be able to help me. Thanks.
-- Glen
Go to Top of Page

tinhorn

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2013 :  08:01:45  Show Profile
Fiberglass doesn't have to be heavy. Typical catamarans or jetski hulls will be, because the manufacturer has to design for "worst-case" customers. I've built some incredibly lightweight and rigid dune buggy bodies in the past--lighter than if they had been blowmolded.
quote:
Originally posted by ToledoGlen

I see hundreds of human powered watercraft on hpv websites using a wide variety of pontoons and hulls...

Now this could present a dilemma for a guy like me who COULD make custom pontoons (and is currently seeking opportunities). Could the current "wide variety" be reduced in number to just a few? Custom hulls would cost a lot more than production hulls.

Would you insist on receiving (and paying shipping costs) for one-piece pontoons or are you willing to bolt some panels together? And would you expect to pay about the same as inflatable pontoons would cost or would you compare price to the second-hand plastic drums you find on craigslist?

EDIT: Seems there are some inexpensive pontoons (floats) available here: http://www.funwatercraft.com/hydrobike/parts

(I have no connection to this business.)

Edited by - tinhorn on 05/21/2013 08:39:04
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
IHPVA Forums © 2008 International Human Powered Vehicle Association Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000